Friday, August 24, 2012

A Message from a Bachelor Pastor to His Congregation before His Wedding

The Gospel Coalition: Steve DeWitt has been Senior Pastor at Bethel Church in Crown Point, Indiana for 14 years. At the age of 44, Steve just preached his last sermon as a single man. He offers some important advice for single people:
I want to speak frankly to the matter of sexual purity. I have fought the fight for purity since my first real girlfriend in 10th grade. That is 28 years. It’s hard to believe. As an adult single in the Christian dating scene, it is frightening to see how little concern there generally is about sexual purity. Yet God’s Word makes it clear, God’s will is for our sanctification – that we control our bodies with holiness and honor. If you would have told the 18-year-old me I would still be dating in my 40s, I would have thought, “Well, at least the temptations aren’t as strong. You’re old. You probably don’t even think about it.” I actually think in some ways it’s harder as an adult than as a college student.
In spite of all the struggles and challenges, purity is worth it. After 28 years of battling this, let me share a few lessons I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment