Thursday, June 4, 2009

International Euthanasia Symposium Stresses Triumph of Love over Suffering

Alison Davis of No Less Human, who suffers from spina bifida, hydrocephalus, and multiple other disabilities, said, "When the pain is bad, what I need is not to be told I'm burdensome and it's my choice whether I want to live or die, and that perhaps I would be better off dead. What I need is to be surrounded by people who tell me, yes, my life does have value, and I'm not burdensome. . . . They can't take the pain away, but sometimes it's not the pain that hurts the most, it's the fear of being abandoned." Her assistant and the director of the anti-euthanasia group ALERT, Colin Harte, criticized the euthanasia movement for being rooted in a deep fear of both experiencing and witnessing suffering, and said the "secret of love" is often revealed by suffering. "By walking with those of suffering, the effect on us can be profound. It's wrong to see suffering . . . as the complete absence of joy or meaning." LifeSiteNews

Editor: Actually, love is only revealed by suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment